Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Tuesday in New Orleans - Farmer's Market & Shrimp Creole

I love Farmer's Market Tuesdays.  And I love my husband the chef!

I thought I had experienced good food before, and had pretty good access to fresh, organic, and tasty ingredients on a regular basis.  But living in New Orleans is a whole new level of "good" for us.  It is not a new discovery to say that the food here is incredible, but what we are learning is that the ingredients here are more flavorful.  "How do they do it?" we ask each other all the time.  How can garlic taste so good?

Back to Tuesdays... that is the day the Crescent City Farmer's Market sets up closest to our house.  Farmers come from nearby farms and sell their produce.  We visit at 9am sharp and start at the arugula table - to make sure we get some before they sell out (they usually do)!  Sure, sure - I've had arugula before many times.  Even grew it in our garden.  But this arugula is out of this world!  Such a peppery taste.  It provides new magic for our lives, as do so many of these items.  We are so taken by all the fresh and flavorful options.  We're hooked!

I follow my husband around the market as he skillfully darts from booth to booth to collect the necessary ingredients needed for Tuesday dinner: Shrimp Creole.  My job is to hold the bag.  Here's a look at some of our haul:

including orange zucchini here - that will be a first for us - maybe tomorrow...

My favorite garlic in the world!

Jumbo shrimp - so fresh and right off the boat.  Aren't they huge?

A beautiful sight!


OK - now the magic starts to happen at home:  Shrimp Creole.  My husband uses a recipe that includes fresh lemongrass, mint, and basil (among other things) making is a delightfully light and refreshing dish.  Have a look:

Start with the shrimp.

Then make the magical & fragrant brew.  This is the good part!  
All together now!


And then finally - we serve and eat: 
With rice.

Or pasta.

Bon Appetit!  Happy Farmer's Market & Shrimp Creole Tuesday!


www.uptownredesigns.com
Upcycled Bags Handmade in New Orleans

No comments:

Post a Comment